I worked for about 4 or 5 hours today, getting to grips with hexes. I used this excellent resource for a lot of help: http://www.redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/
Features so far:
- Can convert between axial and cube coordinates, and from axial to world coordinates
- Can calculate distance between tiles (how I got the hexagon shape above)
- Can choose whether to add collision polygons for hex tiles
- Can choose hex grid outline width/ colour, and interior texture (currently a circular gradient)/ transparency in super-fast shader
- Everything in the image is 1 draw call (1 mesh with lots of triangles, and one material) – could try and optimise for phones
I am excited about the game but know I can’t work that hard on this project this week. I’ll stop mentioning that now cause it’ll get annoying!